Healthy Banana & Dark Chocolate Muffins
Have your cake and eat it!
There’s no denying it – I love cake! So when I found this recipe that allows me to remain on track with my healthy lifestyle but still enjoy a genuinely tasty treat, I was ecstatic!
This recipe has no refined sugars, dairy and is wheat free and can be made vegan easily. Don’t get me wrong, I was skeptical too, hearing that this cake had no flour, butter, eggs or refined sugar but still tasted awesome.. but I promise you, this recipe goes down very well within the Switch team. Even the Boss approves!
Makes 6 Large Muffins
2 ripe bananas
2 1/4 cup of old fashioned oats (use gluten-free oats if need be!)
1/4 honey (Agave Nectar to make it vegan)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Sprinkle of cinnamon
2 Squares of Lindt 70% (or above) dark chocolate
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180-200 degrees celsius
2. Measure and mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Blend bananas in a food processor and add it to the dry mixture
4. Add the honey/agave nectar
5. Chop the dark chocolate into rough pieces, the size of the ‘chips’ is down to personal preference
6. Mix well to disperse the chocolate evenly throughout the muffin mix
7. Divide into muffin tins and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, once they are golden brown and have a cakey-consistency when you touch them, they’re ready to come out
Allow them to cool for 10 minutes and enjoy warm or cold.
They keep in tupperware for 3+ days, not that they often last that long!
These muffins make a great sweet treat, a lovely desert or even a great pre/post training snack.